Venison Sausage and Green Lentil Stew.
You can have Venison Sausage and Green Lentil Stew using 10 ingredients and 14 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Venison Sausage and Green Lentil Stew
- You need of venison sausages.
- Prepare of (or 1 large) carrot, peeled.
- It’s of (or 1 large) yellow onion, peeled.
- You need of celery.
- You need of green lentils.
- It’s of bacon.
- You need of red wine.
- You need of beef stock, I used an OXO cube..
- It’s of dried bay leaf.
- Prepare of fresh, ripe tomato.
Venison Sausage and Green Lentil Stew step by step
- Heat up your oven to 220C..
- Chop all the vegetables to roughly the same size dice, about a half inch/1 cm in size..
- Put the lentils in a saucepan and cover them in enough water to cover them by about an inch, bring them to the boil and boil them for ten minutes..
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish/ dutch oven/ cast iron Creuset ..
- Brown off the sausages for about five minutes, turning them round to get them browned evenly, then remove them to a plate..
- Fry bacon pieces until browned, then remove them too..
- Add the vegetables to the casserole dish and saute them until they are softened..
- Put the bacon back in, then pour in the wine. Reduce the wine until there is hardly any left and there is little smell of alcohol..
- Add the beef stock and the bay leaf, along with the sausages and the lentils (with the water they have been boiled in…it's got flavour).
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and put it into the oven to cook for 1 hour..
- Chop the tomato into half inch/ 1cm dice just before the casserole is finished cooking..
- Carefully take the casserole dish out of the oven, remove the lid and discard the bay leaf..
- Season with salt and ground black pepper, and stir in the fresh tomato..
- Serve. I like to serve this with butter-braised cabbage and baked potatoes..